Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Blog--More from 3/30

Mailed last blog incomplete by mistake--on the Droid again.

The 25 miles leaving Kent were some of the toughest I ever rode.  They would have just been hard without the wind, but the huge wind really took both a psychological and physical toll.   We had 3 of the 4 H's in spades--heat, hills,  headwind,  but no, humidity.  90 hard-earned miles,  8 1/2 hours including 7 stops, so we are at 1170 total miles. I drank at least a gallon and a half of water during the ride,  and a coke and two beers--Firehouse #4, dandy local brew,  afterwards.

I was thinking today how contrary this trip is to conventional training.   Two days off in the last 17, big miles every day,  no recovery rides,  no building for three weeks then an easy week, no speed work, and definitely no weight work.  I figure a coach would be appalled.  But even though we finish each day completely used up,  we still seem to recover well--a good thing too since Kathy has 110 miles planned for tomorrow!  Maybe we'll get some tailwind.   I could use an 'easy' day.

Doug

1 comment:

  1. I know you guys are suffering. I have too. I also thought about the day in and day out without the recovery. I have taken more rest days than you guys and it's still killing me. In Austin now an have FIVE WHOLE DAYS off the bike. Having dinner with Don tonite. Keep up the good work! Dave Fisher

    ReplyDelete